Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Beginning of me.

This is my first time writing my thoughts for everyone to read. Let me first start by introducing myself. My name is Charita Marie Vining. I was born May 1, 1978. My father Curtis, was employed at Boeing in Ft. Irwin, Ca. My mother was a homemaker. We lived on a ranch in Grandview, just outside Barstow. In his spare time, my dad raced horses. My mother played Yahtzee with her aunt and girlfriend. I had a sister, Crista, about 3 1/2 years older than me. My parents divorced when I was around 4 and my father took it hard. He had let his first cousin and his family come live with us in our two bedroom one bathroom home. Before he knew it, he had run away with his wife. Daddy would get drunk and tell us to call our mama because he was going to kill himself. Then he would take off toward the river and leave us home crying and screaming for him. Some way we would end up at mamas house crying and confused. Then here would come daddy, kicking the door in as we clutched together crying. My sister cradling me telling me it was going to be okay. They'd argue. Then daddy would grab us up and put us in the van and we'd drive home listening to how much mama didn't care about us. How she abandoned us. This went on the duration of the divorce proceedings. He'd let her come get us, then burst in and grab us everytime. Eventually, He was awarded custody and the ranch. She was allotted visitation and the 40 acres in Hinkley they had bought, which she would lose later.
Our first Thanksgiving without mom was wierd. My 7 year old sister cooked dinner. I remember it was the best dinner I had had. With the exception of the turkey of course. She quickly became mom to me. She would wake me up. We'd walk outback and feed the animals around 4 am while daddy got dressed for work. She would brush my hair, feed me and make sure I was dressed. Then he would drop us off at Phyllis' house and go to work. Later it would be Trudys'. Trudy kept about 20 other local kids. It was heaven for a kid.
By the time I started Kindergarten he had met Becky, and she and her kids moved in.
I remember my first day of school. Becky got us dressed. I wore a pink and white fuzzy sweater and pair of jeans. I had a pair of white sneakers and my hair tied in a ponytail. I had just gotten a new She-ra lunch pail. I cried until my sister would take a picture with me. So Becky made her. Becky cried when it was time to go. We had become her girls. I was looking for my mom to come end me off, but she didn't come. I was disappointed until I had gotten to school and just as I was about to go inside the gate, I heard my mom call my name. She had met me there. "daddy said you weren't coming mommy," I said to her. " I wouldn't miss this for the world. My baby is a big girl now. She is starting school already. Slow down baby, you're growing up to fast," she replied. The bell rang and she kissed me and watched me go inside.

Well, that's all I have to write today. That is the beginning of me, as I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment