Has anyone ever asked you what you would do with a million dollars? My friend asked me that today. Someone she knew came into a large amount somewhere near that mark and within a year they were broke again. After paying off debts, helping out family members and paying for a pricy rehab for the women he adored. He had bought a foreclosed penthouse in the city, a benz a boat, and his love. At the end of the year, He was online filling out an application for SSI, and alone. He sold his home, car, and other toys and bought an RV.
As she was telling me the story I was thinking about what I would have done with that money. Fancy cars and luxury apartments with city views don't tickle my fancy so no matter how hard I tried to picture myself with all the diamonds and furs, gucci and prada, or super shiny benz, the daydream always ends up with either the fur coming alive and attacking my face or the car transforming into a can of wild cherry pepsi exploding all over my clothes.
I would first pay my own debts, and though she was hardly there, I would pay my mothers debts just to say 'Thank you for giving me life'.
Next I would set aside 3 accounts for my children for when they graduated school. Hopefully giving them motivation to pursue a quality education.
I would donate 10 percent to Lupus Research in hopes of a cure being found and the possibility of eliminating the dreadful disease that so many know little about.
10 percent to my church home. That is a given.
I would organize a welcome home celebration for my father and all his fellow Vietnam Veterans who never received a proper welcome home from our government. Right down in Washington, dc
As for a place to call my own, I would move to Delaware. Why? Because it rings in my head everyday. I would love a small ranch and a few horses. If not, Then a small 4 bedroom single story with 2 boxers pups would be just fine. I would start a magazine focused on telling the stories of everyday people because their stories need to be told.
I've never been flashy. I like Burlington Coat Factory, and Ross. Famous Footwear and Payless Shoes. I'm content with being me.
As for the boat, I'd take an Rv around the country for a year raising awareness instead. Hopefully at the end of the year, I would still have something to show for.
No comments:
Post a Comment